Thursday, April 13, 2006

The function of lie

My husband talked with his boss about me in the dinner last night. His boss was interested that the American life of mine. My husband told him I was perfect in English and I am studying in a major of history in a famous American university. He emphasized, “She has little interest in those popular majors such as business or accounting; she wants to be a scholar or college professor.” His boss showed his amazing about that and they had a wonderful time that night. When I heard the details of their conversation, I asked my husband why he intended to be a liar. I am poor in English that making my very hard to make a living in America; until now, I still didn’t pass the ACT English test yet. In the early years there, I used to be a dishwasher in Chinese restaurants and a cashier in supermarkets. I have little saving because I always cannot stand long in these dehumanized hard work. Realizing I have to change my social situation, I entered into a community college. The tuition and basic expense of mine are all from government financial aid. I bring lunch and water to school in order to save money. I never travel beyond New York City and rarely go out to eat. Being a scholar is my dream, but I clearly understand that it cannot become true in this life. My life is simple and boring. I have no extra money to buy many clothes and go to beauty salons; consequently, I am impossible to look very nice. However, my husband said, “Nobody really cares about your true life.” The point is that I am in America, and they needed a nice, happy topic, a dream of upper life in their dinner. Both sides of them needed a lie. A lie could cheer up feeling and warm ambiance. I have to agree with his words. However, it’s very difficult for me to accept the idea that lie is better than truth even though everybody acts like this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home