Saturday, September 27, 2008

The sadness between a poor couple

I didn’t do well on the early tests on EnSci111. I am not good at science nor multiple choices, the normal test format for science subjects. I have never gotten a hundred percent correct on any multiple choice exam. I got the average 85% on my exams I have taken so far in this class. I have to study even harder in order to achieve an A on the final grade.

I am arguing with my husband this evening because of the issue of eat out. I suggested eating out tomorrow for a good reason. Next Friday is my friend Candy’s birthday. Since she works on Friday, I am planning to meet her and celebrate her birthday on this Sunday. Also, Candy has offered many helps to my husband since he has been here. She introduced a free English class to him, bringing him to the certain place by concerning that he was totally unfamiliar of this city. She lent a cell phone to him for his temporary use this month.

My husband didn’t deny the fact that we should show gratitude to Candy or even buy a dinner for her. However, he completely disagrees with me when I say we may eat out merely for relax or fun.

I believe that I truly understood my husband’s recent suffering as a new immigrant. As the most people from the lower class, he has poor foreign language skill and no professional, which becomes the main reasons contributing to his difficulty on job hunting. Although he has had a short period of business success in China, his saving affect a little on his present struggle, at least on soul. As a result, being frugality becomes the obvious alternative for him. I have to say his attitude towards money is not awful, though in my eyes that is far from prefect. Since we have our own kitchen, and I am enjoying cook very much, we can always have very delicacies food at home. He never refuses to buy any thing that I asked for house cook. In his opinion, that is wonderful enough.

However, the problem is I think eat out with friends is necessary for a good life. I don’t think there is a strongly financial stress on our household. We have saving and the full confidence that both of us can find good jobs in the future. I don’t mind to spend some saving for today use.

My husband said, in a family, a responsibility husband always has more pressure and concerns about money than his wife. The reason is the husband must concerns and supports the whole family, but if the wife can pay her own expense, she earn respect from others. I think he is right and is touched by his words. I conclude that he is a prefect husband in concept, regardless I disagree with him on his some opinions and actions in the real live.

This is the sadness between a poor couple. I wonder how we will recall this episode when we live in the richest country in the world many years later, an argument about a wife asking eat out.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM , Blogger Kyoko said...

We have the same problem about a husband and a wife :( but I think the money for friends is necessary as you think. Did you enjoy the meal with your friend?

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger pink tear said...

Yes, Emi, We had a good lunch in my favorite restaurant in Flushing. Come to NY, I'll bring you to the restaurant too.

 
At 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,that's the difference between men and women....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home