Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Enzo corrected my writing!

Although I have been in America more than seven years, I don’t have many American friends. I know it must a weakness but I really feel easier to contact with people who speak the same language with me. Nevertheless, I have never give up to overcome my weakness. I have been trying to make more American friends and to understand different cultures as more as possible.

In fact, the few of my American friends treat me very nice. My tutor Barry is the one whom I contact with more often than others. Barry’s kindness and understanding encourage me to be more open to the new world. When we talk, he corrects us and shows us a better expression. Last Wednesday, when we went a bakery, Barry insisted to buy coffee for Brian and me. We accepted. I told him I wanted a milk tea without sugar. Barry said he wanted a coffee with more sugar. Later when we sat down, Barry told Brian that the correct expression should be a cup of coffee with a lot of sugar but not more sugar. We appreciated his explanation because if Barry was not such a kind person, he would not say anything when he heard our mistake.

Julia was my ex-coworker in Media Centre. She is modern and claimed her as a party girl. We don’t contact with each other very often but our friendship is sweet. Last month, she invited us coming to her house at the Christmas Eve. Thus, we got the opportunity to attend an interesting Spanish style Christmas.

Brian and I hang out with Enzo during this winter too. Last Saturday we attended an event in the public library that is about culture behavior around the world. The real concern of it the struggle of new immigrants in America. Although we didn’t have more time to talk after the event, we shared emails to discuss our opinions about the topic. I like to write emails; it is a very useful way to practice English writing. Especially, emails from my American friends provide me a sample of good writing. I always read them carefully, and I often can find out something helpful for my own writing.

This time Enzo made some corrections to my email. He was so nice. I don’t inquire but it is just what I need the most. There are my writing and his corrections below.

Thank you very much for explaining your opinion to me. I think, at least, if we understand people who from different culture more, we will have enthusiasm and more friendly attitude rather than indifference toward each other; thus, we are creating a more comfortable environment to all of us.

I’d like to attend to the piano concert this Saturday. Do you know if it is still in the same location? I doubt Brian may not come. He got a new job and he is going to work since this Thursday. He doesn’t know his schedule yet. If he can get off on Saturday, I’ll ask him to come to join us. But I guess Serena probably have free time this Saturday afternoon. I’ll ask her, and then let you know.

Thank you very much for explaining your opinion to me. I think, at least, if we understand people who from different cultures more, we will have enthusiasm and a more friendly attitude rather than indifference toward each other; thus, we are creating a more comfortable environment for all of us.

I’d like to attend to the piano concert this Saturday. Do you know if it is still in the same location? I doubt Brian will come. He got a new job and he is going to work starting this Thursday. He doesn’t know his schedule yet. If he can get off on Saturday, I’ll ask him to join us. I guess Serena probably has free time this Saturday afternoon. I’ll ask her, and then let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home