Thursday, May 03, 2007

I said no to somebody

Once, one of my classmates asked to see my assignment. I gave him mine. He copied my work, and when the professor returned my assignment, she gave me no credit and said I must finish my job independent. I felt bad about that, but I understood that it is reasonable that the professor could not distinguish who copies others job. Somebody suggested me to talk with my professor, but I didn’t think I had any excuse to make her believes me.

Today, the student came to ask to see my new assignment again when I was working in Media Center. I said no to him directly. He asked why. I said, “I lost credit last time because we works were similar.” He replied, “No, I am not going to copy yours. I only want to take a look.” I told him, “If you want, I can discuss these questions with you. That is all I can do for you.” He left. A few minutes later, he came back and asked a few question about the assignment. I explained them to him.

It’s pretty cool speaking like this way, in an American manner. In China, people prefer speaking indirectly. For instance, in today’s situation, people would like to say, “I forgot bringing my assignment with me.” Or, “I am sorry, but it is not available because someone borrowed it this morning.” They rarely directly refuse the requires from friends or other people despite how ridiculous they are. For Chinese, seams as saying no is the most difficult thing to do in the world. I hate to lie even though if I do that that may make others feel better. I’d like make myself feel comfortable first. It’s coooool.

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM , Blogger kitkabbit said...

I think you were very brave. It's hard to say no, especially when it's someone you see every day in class or see on campus often. I got to your blog through Emi's blog, btw! It's very sad that you had to go through this experience, especially as you seem so dedicated. That guy took advantage of you.. but now you know and it won't happen again. You're a sadder but wiser person now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home